Wednesday, August 6, 2008

First Post & What Is ME/CFS

I think the first post is always the hardest and I myself always have a hard time starting it so I guess maybe dispensing with the small talk this time round might be best.

I've started this blog as a compliment to the Blue Butterflies Forum. The forum I started over a year ago. It's an alternative get together for sufferer's of ME/CFS & FM. I have had ME/CFS, since 2005, and I'm a bit of an alternative person.

What do I mean by alternative?

Well when it comes down to it I'm an atheist but I like to call myself an open minded atheist. I dabble in a bit of Buddhism, crystal work and other alternative healing, spirituality and paganism. All that jazz is what I mean by "alternative". So if you're a pagan, spiritualist, atheist or just open minded and curious you might like the forum. If it's not your cup of tea then that's fine, you can still read the blog of course!

As for the whole ME/CFS & FM question...

For all my writing skills I'm terrible at explaining exactly what Myalgic Encephalomyelitis or Fibromyalgia (I try to avoid having to explain it) is let alone writing it up so I'm going to take a piece from another site that has it so well written out I am beyond impressed.

This is for the Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome). Fibromyalgia will be the next post.

What Is ME/CFS?
Taken from the WA Society Website

ME/CFS is a complex chronic disease affecting multiple body systems/organs. The disease is characterised by abnormal persistent or relapsing fatigue, post-exertional malaise/fatigue, sleep dysfunction, cognitive dysfunction, muscle/joint pain and headaches. Post-exertional malaise/fatigue, which is a hallmark of the disease, describes the worsening of symptoms and incapacitating malaise/fatigue experienced by those affected following physical or mental exertion, sometimes even of a trivial nature.

Individuals may also experience their own unique constellation of accompanying symptoms which may include impaired concentration and memory, swollen lymph nodes, recurrent feverishness, food intolerance, nausea, disorientation and cognitive and sensory overload amongst others (see Symptoms).

The severity of the disease and symptoms vary from one individual to another and can in very rare instances be fatal (see Severity). It is frequently known to develop following infection or may have a more gradual onset and has the potential to cause devastating and possibly lifelong disability in those affected.

Although the disease is generally referred to as ME/CFS, ME and CFS are not identical. To understand the differences between ME and CFS and the confusion and misunderstanding this has caused see Brief History.

If you'd like to learn more please follow this link



Thanks for reading
Bonnie

No comments: